Dianna

Skipping grades? Graduating Early?

Dianna

I’m often asked about skipping grades and graduating early. In my opinion, learning is a journey, not a race. And hopefully, it’s a life-long journey. In my homeschool, grade level is beside the point. My children learned at home until they were of the normal age to graduate and pursue their post-high school goals.

So my advice is to focus on providing more in-depth learning experiences rather than skipping grade levels. Read more: https://www.carolinahomeschooler.com/skipping-grades-and-graduating-early/

HellsBelle

I held my daughter back in 3rd grade due to a struggle with reading. While she was on grade level in other areas, I didn’t feel comfortable sending her to the next grade and possibly setting her up for failure. They even offered to put her in 4th grade classes for other subjects and pull her for reading but I didn’t want her feeling “singled out”. I met with teachers, principals, guidance counselors, area and district directors to insure she received the help she needed to excel. She was tested mid school year and no longer needed any extra help with reading. She should actually be going to 6th grade this year and we would both like to get her into the grade she is supposed to be in. So I’m not necessarily talking about skipping grades but getting her into the grade she’d be in had I not held her back.

• Like 1

Dianna
5 minutes ago, HellsBelle said:

So I’m not necessarily talking about skipping grades but getting her into the grade she’d be in had I not held her back.

Register her for the grade she should be in. I haven't read current research, but back when I was a practicing school psychologist, my experience was that holding children back rarely worked out well for students*, so I'd be all for getting her back in the grade she truly belongs in. With homeschooling, grade level doesn't really matter - it's just a number we have to report to the different districts each year. Parents teach their children where they're at.

*The exceptions were with children (especially boys) with late summer birthdates (some could enter kindergarten with no issues, others benefitted very well from waiting an extra year with no detrimental effects), and children who were born prematurely and placed in kindergarten too early due to early birthdate.

The only issue may be if you return to public school next year. They may want you to justify "skipping" a grade. The fact that they offered to put her in 4th grade classes before should work in your favor, and the fact that she was tested last year and no longer needed help. If you're planning to return to public school next year, register with an association that has experience dealing with issues like this in case you get pushback from the school.