Hannah-Ruby

Reading

Hannah-Ruby

I’m new to home schooling. For the reading requirements, I am planning on letting my kids read whatever books interest them. I’m sure I’m missing something though, like “reading comprehension”. What is required for reading? Do I have to create lesson plans around this or can my kids just read? I have a 3rd and 1st grader. 
Thank you! 

Dianna

I recommend just letting your children read, and documenting the titles of the books they've read under the subject heading of reading. If your children are still learning how to read, you can note things like "learning consonants," or "letter blends," or "vowels." Or note something like, "practiced oral reading." Or "silent reading - 1 hour." But we integrated reading into almost every subject area, so most of the time it was just a list of books and magazines they read. And it was a long list for each of my children. 

If you do this, you won't need to do a separate vocabulary program - nothing beats learning and remembering vocabulary in context. You'll probably be able to skip separate spelling programs, too. If any of your students aren't intuitive spellers, make they learn spelling rules and rule-breakers, and keep a self-made list of words they consistently spell wrong so they can focus on those words. Same with grammar.

We learn so much through just reading, so giving my children the time and space to read widely, and integrating reading into other subject areas (science, social studies, writing), is the best thing we did as homeschoolers.

• Like 1