Band for homeschoolers?

We are in York County SC and being told by the school district that if we switch to homeschool my child can no longer participate in High School band. This feels a little discriminatory to me, since if he played a sport this would be no problem and he would be allowed to continue. Has anyone had experience in this area?

Dianna

Hi Becki,

Read through the 59-63-100 Equal Access to Interscholastic Activities section here: https://www.carolinahomeschooler.com/homeschool-faqs/sc-homeschool-law/

This also relates to sports, so if you have proof that the school allows students to continue sports without waiting a year, then you need to bring that up when you talk to the school about this law.

Dianna

LeslieOwens

We asked middle school band teacher if we could participate in 7th grade band and he responded - he didn’t think we could. 
No one in admin ever responded when we withdrew. 

Rachel C.

Beckie,

If it is marching band, you may be able to pursue it;however, in our district, Lexington 1, my daughter couldn't participate (or audit) orchestra because it wasn't an elective--it was a graded class. The district manipulated the interpretation of the Equal Access legistlation We even got HSLDA involved and were in litigation for 4 years with no success--just a lot of delays, stalling, mediation (their solution was that we could put my daughter in school and bypass school choice and she could go anywhere she wanted).  Good luck!