I’m often asked how to do a “trial run” before fully committing to homeschooling, especially during the summer. My advice is not to break out the textbooks and workbooks.
Instead, do this:
- Go to museums and zoos, and participate in any extra educational programs they offer.
- Visit state parks and historic sites and participate in their park programs and junior ranger programs.
- Watch and discuss educational television, documentaries, and/or streaming that interests you.
- Go to the library and check out laundry-basket-loads of books, both fiction and non-fiction, and read/discuss them together.
- Do any projects or experiments that interest you.